For this handy list, we have accumulated tips from lots of different Mums so it really is a comprehensive list that might be worth printing off and having on hand.
So…the time has come to pack THE hospital bag! I have to say I really enjoyed doing this! I know for some it can be a daunting process or one that is left until last minute but I was picking things up every time we would go to town and would put them aside until the time came to actually pack my bag & the baby bag!
Two little tips before you begin packing:
- Do out a list before you start & have it easily accessible so you can add to it on the go.
- Pack earlier than you think you need to! It’s no harm to have both yours & the baby bag fully packed by 37 weeks, just in case!
I only had two bags. One hand luggage size suitcase for the me & I used a baby change bag for all my daughters things.
- Pj’s or nightdress (All dark coloured .. for obvious reasons!!)
- Flip Flops
- Face cloth
- Hair ties
- Lipbalm (lips get chapped with the heat of the hospital)
- Bikini top (If you plan on using the bath)
- Headphones or Earplugs
- Phone charger
⇾All your bags come in here with you.
Have babies clothes easily accessible!
*Tip* Have babies first outfit in a ziplock bag so it can be accessed easily. Advice on what to have in a bag; Babygrow, vest, hat, cardigan & a nappy – Don’t forget a baby blanket!
- Nightdresses with buttons down the front X 3
- Nursing Bra
- Your own pillow if you want.
- Black towel
- Pack of black knickers
- Maternity pads (2 packs should be enough) but have more at home!
- Breast pads (1 box)
- Lanolin Nipple Cream
- Multi-Mam Compresses (2 boxes) maybe more to keep at home stored in the fridge…Bliss!
- Some makeup (ie. Concealer & lipbalm!)
- Facewipes / travel size shampoo/deodorant & a nice body wash.
- Face mist & dry shampoo , toothpaste/brush
- More snacks (the evenings are long!)
- Baby grows x5 (Next and some Dunnes Newborn have the mittens built in)
- Vests x5
- Cellular blanket x1 or Swaddle blanket
- Muslin x 1
- Nappy’s x1 (Small 24 pack of No.1 pampers)
- Baby Towel
- Cardigan x1
- Cotton Wool
- Going home outfit
- Swaddle Bag
- Breastfeeding Pillow
- Small gift for the Midwives who helped deliver your baby
- If this isn’t your second child, a gift from the baby to you other child (ren) might go down well!
- Fresh T shirt & toothbrush for your partner!